- Drive Standard Forwarding corporate initiatives to make certain they are consistently applied.
- Ensure the team remains focused on customer requirements and operational performance manage resources and talent to have trained and focused employees on the team. Develop plans to proactively prepare for future resource changes through succession planning.
- Communicate needs of terminal operation to Regional Operations Manager to ensure service directives of Standard Forwarding customers are met.
- Drive an operational performance agenda with a focus on Safety, Labor to Revenue (LR), Quality and operational excellence.
- Direct and manage daily terminal operations to meet Key Performance Indicator goals.
- Review and Analyze reports, records and directives and confer with Managers and Supervisors to obtain data required for planning and accountability activities, such as status of directives in progress, trending of data that illustrates progress and/or challenges encountered in the operation.
- Drive continual improvement by evaluating current terminal procedures and practices for accomplishing company directives and develop and implement improved procedures and practices.
- Set a standard for performance. Establish trust, champion change, build talent by setting priorities, and drive results.
- Interface with other functions, Sales, Customer Service, Finance and Human Resources to ensure the terminal is meeting customer service requirements, growing the terminal business and meeting productivity, LR cost targets and other financial targets that affect terminal profitability.
- Evaluate alternatives and utilize discretion to make independent decisions regarding terminal operation.
- Monitor and analyze terminal costs and prepare terminal budget goals.
- Achieve agreed budget, revenue and LR goals.
- Ability to coach, mentor and train resources to improve work performance and self-esteem.
- Ability to recognize, reward and reinforce good performance.
- Manage the terminal vendor contracts and agreements and ensure they are current, effective and executable.
- Responsible for proper communication with all departments of Standard Forwarding to ensure customer’s needs are met.
- Perform duties in accordance with the DHL/Standard Forwarding Standards of Business Conduct.
- Manage risk of all activities regarding resources and operation of the terminal.
- Observe and comply with all federal, state, and local laws and/or DHL/Standard Forwarding including company policies concerning safety, claims prevention hours of service and other matters.
- Previous proven leadership skills
- Excellent organizational, analytical, data management and problem solving skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to prioritize work and maintain flexibility to adapt plans as necessary
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Confidence in decision-making
- Customer centric approach
- A good team-playing mentality
- Ability to handle stress and demanding customers
- Comfort in dealing with conflict and holding people accountable to deadlines and deliverables
- An ability to work to tight deadlines and within constraints and deliver on results on schedule and within budget
- Comfort with challenging status quo and a serious interest in making changes in the business
- Forklift operation certification and experience is a plus
- CDL and experience with driving heavy equipment is a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen. Tasks require the ability to exert light to moderate physical effort in sedentary to light work, which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 50 pounds). Requires manual dexterity and visual and hearing acuity.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time exempt position and normal hours of work and days are Monday through Friday with start and end times that will be dictated by the needs of the business. Hours may vary depending on staffing levels, customer demands, emergency situations and travel.
Limited travel may be required to other terminal locations and to HQ East Moline, Illinois.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Logistics or related field and 5-7years of Transportation related experience is desired or 10 years in the Logistics or Transportation fields.
Experience working in a Union environment is a plus.
Standard Forwarding LLC believes in equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment. Our company’s success depends on the effective utilization of qualified individuals regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, disability, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. We will not discriminate on the basis of these characteristics in a personnel action including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotions, transfers, demotions, benefits, compensation, discipline, termination and any other conditions or privileges of employment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time to adjust and adapt to the changing needs of the business.